I’ve been making wings in my air fryer for a bit now. They make for a great quick lunchtime meal, that’s for sure. But, I’m always on a quest for something different, a twist. Brining wings (or any poultry) helps tenderize the meat and keeps it juicy during the cooking process. Sous vide provides a perfectly-cooked, consistent dish that is amazingly tender. Combine those and cook the wings in the air fryer and wow! Crazy good wings!
I used a standard brining solution for my brined sous vide air fryer wings. You can add other ingredients if you want to infuse other flavors. Adding herbs, hot sauce or spices can make a big flavor impact. Try different combinations to see what you like. Not that there’s anything wrong with salt, sugar and pepper. Depending on which sauce you’re going to use on your wings, you might not want a strong wing flavor that ends up fighting with your sauce for taste.
Brined Sous Vide Air Fryer Wings
- In a large resealable container, combine the salt, sugar, pepper and water. Stir until the salt and sugar are well dissolved.
- Add the wings. Cover and place in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Set up your sous vide for 155 F.
- Remove wings from brine. Shake off excess brine and transfer to a sealable bag. Vacuum seal making sure to remove all of the air.
- Sous vide the wings for 3 hours.
- Remove the wings from the sous vide bag and spread out on a sheet pan. Pan dry and transfer to the fridge overnight. This will let the skin dry to get crispier. If you are in a hurry you can skip this step.
- Preheat your air fryer for 5 minutes at 350 F.
- Toss wings in your favorite seasoning. Lightly spray your air fryer basket with non-stick spray. Add to the air fryer basket and cook for 6 minutes. Flip and cook 6 more minutes. If the wings need to be crisper at this point, turn the heat up to 400 F and cook another 3 minutes.
- Toss with sauce before serving.